Group 10: Tactical Design Precedents
Case study 1: park fiction/ Hamburg (Germany)/1995
- the overview of the site
Agents of change:
A process which “art & politics made each other more clever”.
- city’s government
- Many architects including Volker Schmidt, Ellen Schmeisser and Arbos worked for the project.
Introduction of art and playful elements into emancipatory politics, link the urban everyday and the imaginary to be visible in the design of the park, city to be a product of the people who inhabit it, social interaction, participatory planning movements, and social imagination.
St. Pauli residents formed Hafenrandverein (Harbor Edge Association) to protest the development of a high-rise corporate office district in the last remaining open space in their neighborhood. Members of the group included musicians, priests, a headmistress, a cook, café-owners, barmen, a psychologist, squatters, artists, and interventionist residents. Hafenrandverein’s led a participatory designing process that led to the development of a new public park, Park Fiction. Throughout ten years of planning and struggle Hafenrandverein acted as if the park already existed, holding events such as public lectures, talks, discussions, exhibitions, film screenings, and concerts in the park-to-be.
- the idea map of the project
- residents design for the park
Case study 2: Hackney Wick Fish Island / MUF (London) /2010
London Development Agency, London Borough of Hackney and London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- The designer systemize original transport space, close some of motor way, and create Cycling Route along the river.
- To get a better use of the space between buildings, they create a neighborhood center near the station. It can be used as a meeting, buying, entertaining place in the heart of the area.
- The garden was surrounded by barrier, which restricts the interaction between outside and inside. To this, the designer built a seesaw and a special bench across it to weaken such isolation.
- As the space under the overpass is a relevant negative space with less people staying, the designer transfer it into a meditation and relaxing space, get a better use of the dusky light.
- This is one of the roads being cut. Without the interruption of vehicle, it constructs better condition for the pedestrian, and also enlarge the public space to gather.
- To give the pedestrians a better experience in the road, it creates several seating along with the podium. Further, those seats are located in the sites that can a fascinating view of land scape.
Hackney Wick Fish Island, http://www.muf.co.uk/portfolio/hwfi
Street Interrupted, http://www.muf.co.uk/portfolio/street-interrupted-2010
Wick Green, http://www.muf.co.uk/portfolio/wick-green
Mabley Green, http://www.muf.co.uk/portfolio/mabley-green
Dace Road, http://www.muf.co.uk/portfolio/dace-road-2011